Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Simple problem: I download stuffs via torrent all the night using scheduler. These days, in the morning I'm seeing my dsl modem's 'internet' light is not blinking (as it should ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

router freezes at night - not downloading after sometime

Simple problem:

I download stuffs via torrent all the night using scheduler. These days, in the morning I'm seeing my dsl modem's 'internet' light is not blinking (as it should be if data transfer occurs) but stable. And the torrents are showing as "stalled" that is in effect not downloading for sometimes.

So, what might be the reason for modem freezing after some idle time?
    Imran
    Linux User #467555 | Debian Squeeze | Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU 4500 @ 2.20GHz | Gigabyte GA-G41MT-ES2L
    | 2 GB RAM | 320 GB SATA | Kernel: 2.6.32-5-686

I got two possible pointers from /var/log/messages:
    Timeout waiting for PADS packets

NIC Link is down
    But I'm getting the first message even when there is proper connection and the system is not idle. Like right now, when I'm typing this message I'm running tail -f /var/log/syslog which showing :

Timeout waiting for PADS packets
    pppd[4347]: Unable to complete PPPoE Discovery
    pppd[4347]: Timeout waiting for PADS packets
    pppd[4347]: Unable to complete PPPoE Discovery
    So?
    Imran
    Linux User #467555 | Debian Squeeze | Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU 4500 @ 2.20GHz | Gigabyte GA-G41MT-ES2L

The first thing I would do is check to make sure I'm running the latest firmware for my router. Odd timeouts like that can often be remedied by a firmware upgrade.

Thanks Thrillhouse. But searching the net gave me the impression that its difficult to get the latest firmware for my router. And, anyway how I'll know if the firmware I'm running is latest.

For information I'm having UT300R2U modem.
    Imran

Quote Originally Posted by imranka View Post
    Thanks Thrillhouse. But searching the net gave me the impression that its difficult to get the latest firmware for my router. And, anyway how I'll know if the firmware I'm running is latest.
    That's odd. Is your router no longer supported? I don't see any other reason why you wouldn't be able to get the latest firmware for it. Which brand and model router do you have?

I suggested upgrading the firmware because I had a similar problem with having to constantly power-cycle my own router. Even though it seemed like I had no connection and that it was a problem with the modem, upgrading the firmware for the router solved the problem. I haven't had any trouble since.

Well, I have no idea about this firmware. But it seems from different forums that this is the latest one. The model number is UT300R2U and its given by bsnl broadband.
    How you were able to upgrade the firmware?
    Imran

That's the model of your modem. Do you have a router that is receiving traffic from the modem or are you hooked up directly to the modem?

I have direct connection with the modem. Maybe I told something wrong when I mentioned it as router, sorry. I'm not clear about these things.
    Imran

Well then you may have a service problem. Is it possible your ISP is blocking torrent traffic? You may get a better answer by contacting them rather than asking here.

No, my ISP is not blocking the torrent traffic or any other traffic. The only problem is : when I keep the system idle for long time(torrent download starts automatically from night 2am till morning 8am by scheduler, I don't attend the system then) only then the data transfer stops.

Anyway, thanks Thrillhouse for your interest.
    Imran

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast