Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have installed Yoper and Mandrake, and I tried too much to conect to my internet, but failed. Let me give you the information first: ->I have a cable ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cable Internet : How to configure....

Hi,
    I have installed Yoper and Mandrake, and I tried too much to conect to my internet, but failed. Let me give you the information first:
    ->I have a cable connection, static IP, connected thru Ethernet Card.
    ->I know Server/Gateway/DNS IP , and Subnet Mask.
    ->I have to use an exe file, that requires Username/Password and Server IP address to connect.
    ->That exe file connects to port 23400 of the server, and i get my internet till it is connected.
    Don't forget, my ISP requires authentication info for providing internet.
    ----------
    How can i configure my Linux (either Yoper/Mandrake10/RedHAT9) to have internet connection there.
    Thanks in advance. Please guide me. I have posted this problem 2-3 times before, it got many readers but 0 replies.

Linux Guru
    You cannot use exe files nativly in linux. It looks like your ISP has a non-standard type of setup so the only thing I can really suggest in this case is call your ISP and get them to tell you how its done.

Jason

Just Joined!

i did that

i have already tried this way. I called the ISP, and told them the problem. They said, they do not know, and there is no skilled engineer there, i guess. Moreover, they suggested me to use Windows for surfing net... really bad.
    OK, i m confused on some matter. One is, DHCP, as i know is getting IP from server automatically. So when i steup network in Yoper, it asks enable DHCP, is that correct to do no in my case. I think i may get connection when i connect to the port 23400 of the server, with valid username/password supplied. SO, can i do that with KPPP.

What is BROADCAST, asked when seting up YOPER network.

See if this is of any help:

http://support.primus.ca/en/dsl/linux_console.php

You'll have to adapt it to fit your distro and specific needs, obviously.

Broadcast is the address that is reserved for sending a message to all machines on that subnet. For example: You have broadcast 192.168.0.255. All the nodes that have an IP in the range of 192.168.0.1-254 will get a packet from your box in the event that it needs to send something to all the nodes on the subnet.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Lab
    Just Joined!
    Maybe you could set up a windows router ?

It seems any router will work here. You might want to try wine, although I doubt it would work.

Just Joined!
    Which ISP are you using??? And what exe client did you use in windows to connect to the Internet?? Was it cyberroam by anychance? If yes. They have a client for linux as well.. and if not. Then you have to ask your ISP to configure it. Most of ISP's use bandwidth managers that require authentication to use internet. But most of these Bandwidth managers have an always logged in feature that does not require the user to authenticate everytime he / she wants to use the internet.

Cheers

p.s. If your ISP is sify..... they are the worst of the lot. They won't help.