Find the answer to your Linux question:
I successfully set up my home network with ip forwarding and masquerading, internet <<>> ubuntu gateway <<>> local machines. Now i'm trying to forward a port from my ubuntu gateway ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

iptables forwarding help pls

I successfully set up my home network with ip forwarding and masquerading, internet <<>> ubuntu gateway <<>> local machines.

Now i'm trying to forward a port from my ubuntu gateway to one of the machines on my lan.

Specifically I need to forward port 6112 so that I can host warcraft games. These two rules don't seem to be working.

#set DNAT
    iptables -A PREROUTING -t nat -p tcp --dport 6112 -i eth0 -j DNAT --to 192.168.0.100:6112
    iptables -A PREROUTING -t nat -p udp --dport 6112 -i eth0 -j DNAT --to 192.168.0.100:6112

These were some other rules I already had.

#setup MASQUERADING for nat
    iptables -A POSTROUTING -t nat -j MASQUERADE

# Setup port forwarding
    iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -o eth1 -s 192.168.0.0/24 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT
    iptables -A FORWARD -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

I set up a log after the DNAT and it gets triggered b/c I can see it in syslog, but no one can join my games.
    I also set up a log after MASQUERADE but that one didn't appear in syslog.

Maybe it has something to do with state in the DNAT rules? I attached my startup script. I dunno whats going on.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Just Joined!
    Did you load module iptable_nat and enable ip_forward before?

Just Joined!
    Stupid Windows SP3 didn't ask me if I wanted to allow War3 through my firewall. I added it manually and now my windows machine can host through the gateway. The packets were being forwarded properly all along I was just so focused on the gateway being the problem. Next time I'll install wireshark.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close