Hi, I'm using Linpus Lite on an Acer Aspire One, and a while back I set up an sshfs mount with autofs, which worked fine. A while back, though, it stopped working and I started looking into what was wrong. My current situation is as follows:

I want to be able to access my fileserver at home over the internet. The server is connected to the internet via a Telewell DSL router. I have set up port forwarding for port 22 to the server. I've set up passwordless ssh login to the server hosting the directories I want mounted. I can manually mount directories on the server by doing on my netbook:
sshfs username@host.address\:/remote/dir mountpoint
So, as far as I can tell, the router is not getting in the way.

I can also mount the same directory with autofs, provided I'm on my home LAN and using the LAN IP for the server. Here are the relevant lines from /etc/auto.master and /etc/auto.sshfs:

[auto.master:]

/mnt/netshare /etc/auto.sshfs --timeout=30

[auto.sshfs]
mountpoint -fstype=fuse,rw,nodev,nonempty,noatime,allow_other, max_read=65536 :sshfs\#username@server.LAN.IP\:/remote/dir

(obviously I use my real username and IP etc. in the actual file.)

Now, the weird part. The syntax for the two files above should be fine since it works with the LAN IP. Also, the router should be letting ssh traffic through to the server, since I'm able to ssh to it, and my passwordless login should be set up right, since sshfs as shown before works and doesn't ask for a password. However, if I replace the LAN IP in auto.sshfs with my WAN IP, and restart autofs, autofs mounting no longer works. If I do an 'ls' on the mount point, I just get a "no such file or directory" error. No relevant items appear in /var/log/messages. No login attempt gets logged in /var/log/auth.log on the server end.

So, I'm kind of stuck now. If anyone has any ideas what the problem could be, I'd be grateful to hear them.