Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi all im sorry if this is not the right place for this question but i am running ubuntu hardy and i am wanting to monitor my networks total downloading/uploading ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Network Monitoring

hi all

im sorry if this is not the right place for this question but i am running ubuntu hardy and i am wanting to monitor my networks total downloading/uploading due to the fact my ISP has capped me and i am always going over my cap so the app i need has to:
    1. record the amount of data (download & upload)
    2. display it easily for me to see (hopefully intergrated into one of my panels)
    3. run from boot up to shutdown (without interaction from me as i always forget things)
    4. perhaps if it can deliver a million dollars would be not lol

by the way i'm a newbie at this i have only been running linux on and off since august so i may need a little help with the commands too.
    so calling all guru's, do you think you can help me?

There is the network monitor applet that you can add by right clicking on your panel->add to panel.
    The bad thing about it though, is that you have to click it to see the stats. When you hover the mouse over it, it only displays the name of the connection.

Does anyone know any applet that displays traffic when hovering the mouse over it?