Hi, I live at college which means I use their ISP. I run Ubuntu 8.04. I have a problem that began about 2 weeks ago which I filed a help request to my college help desk but they were really no help.
I can't get to a few number of websites. 99 percent of websites work with no problem but most importantly ubuntuforums.org doesn't work along with any site associated with ubuntu like launchpad, canonical, bugreports etc...
I also was not able to receive updates thru the system updater until right now when I changed the download source to a different server in the US.
Anyway, I have tried 3 different browsers. I dual boot with XP and I cannot get to the site on my XP OS either.
I am able to ping the site and when it tries to load it goes extremely slow and never gets enough to even show anything but white on the page.
I went to a TCP analyzer and saw I might have some problem areas there. Take a look at the results and it even says some parts may be problematic:

Found here: "http://www.speedguide.net/analyzer.php".
I will copy and paste what might be the problem areas:

"Default TCP Receive Window (RWIN) = 5840
RWIN Scaling (RFC1323) = 0 bits
Unscaled TCP Receive Window = 5840

Under many Linux distributions readings in the Analyzer only show the Current TCP Window.
RWIN seems to be set to a very small number. If you're on a broadband connection, consider using a larger value.
RWIN is a multiple of MSS
Other RWIN values that might work well with your current MTU/MSS:
64240 (up to 2 Mbit lines, depending on latency. MSS * 44)
128480 (1-5 Mbit lines, depending on latency. MSS * 44 * 2)
256960 (2-14 Mbit lines, depending on latency. MSS * 44 * 2^2)
513920 (8-30 Mbit lines, depending on latency. MSS * 44 * 2^3)
1027840 (25-60 Mbit lines depending on latency. MSS * 44 * 2^4)
bandwidth * delay product (Note this is not a speed test):

Your TCP Window limits you to: 234 kbps (29 KBytes/s) @ 200ms
Your TCP Window limits you to: 93 kbps (12 KBytes/s) @ 500ms
Consider increasing your RWIN value to optimize TCP/IP for broadband."

Does any of that look bad?
My college's response to my help ticket was to install a VPN client and use that or something. Can anyone help me? Thanks!!