Find the answer to your Linux question:
my main pc runs win xp pro on workgroup jsghome with a secondary sata 250gb hard disk shared over a wired network via a buffalo router my laptop can connect ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

windows

my main pc runs win xp pro on workgroup jsghome with a secondary sata 250gb hard disk shared over a wired network via a buffalo router
    my laptop can connect to it no probs
    i have just installed puppy linux on a old p3 128mb runs great, but how do i connect to my shared drive on the windows pc
    also i have installed ff in puppy, is there any way to create a desktop icon, i have tried drag and drop ala windows and it does'nt work

Just Joined!
    anyone any ideas??

To share files to Windwos, you need a package called Samba on your Linux PC. I'm not familiar with puppy linux, but this is an extremely popular tool and should be available in your package manager. Install it from there and configure your shares through /etc/smb.conf or /etc/samba/smb.conf. The sample config file is very well documented and is very helpful to the beginner. You'll need to declare the domain or workgroup to be the same as your Windwos PC.

Can you create a desktop icon by right-clicking the desktop? Some of the popular desktops support this, but the lighter ones (and you're likely to have a lightweight one on puppy Linux) dont.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close