Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a Suse 9.1 box and a Yoper box and i want to setup ftp and ssh connection between them. Ping works fine. The problem is that the port ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Opening ports for networking

I have a Suse 9.1 box and a Yoper box and i want to setup ftp and ssh connection between them. Ping works fine. The problem is that the port 22 for ssh is "closed" and so port 21 for ftp. How can i open those ports;

Further more i want to setup a lan connection between those 2 boxes. U know, without ftp.. Just peer to peer connection like windows--windows. How can i do that;

Thanks guys!!

paul - with the lan, just make sure both boxes recognize dhcp, and use either a switch or hub or even a crossover cable to hook them together. then ping one another to make sure they work. that should do the trick.. as for port opening i have no idea. good luck.
    I praise Webmin and PuTTy!
    Registered Linux User: 439431

this is a little more complicated than opening the ports. First install ssh servers and ftp servers on both, I dont think that either has a firewall enabled by default. the ports are closed becasue you dont have any server listening on it, so the OS closes it.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333