Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am looking for ways to update or change nameservers listed on remote linux machines via the command line. For years I have attempted to do this with a package ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to change nameservers WITHOUT editing resolv.conf???

I am looking for ways to update or change nameservers listed on remote linux machines via the command line.

For years I have attempted to do this with a package called 'netconfig' (these are fedora boxes) but netconfig has a bug that causes the nameservers not to be updated with the supplied info on the first attempt. Usually, and this is especially true when going from DHCP to static, a second netconfig attempt is required to get the nameservers to update.

I'd like to find a more reliable way to do this. Are there any command line tools that take a nameserver as an argument and updates resolv.conf accordingly? something along the lines of 'ifconfig' is what I am looking for, although I know ifconfig cannot be used to change nameservers.

In all the googling I have done the only command line related option that I could find for updating nameservers is to manually edit the resolve.conf file and this is not really an option for my application. I need to be able to issue a command to the system to get the job done.

Does anyone here have any good suggestions?

Linux Guru
    Are there any command line tools that take a nameserver as an argument and updates resolv.conf accordingly?
    Write your own (rough overview):

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    # Assumes nameserver IP is passed on the command line and updates resolv.conf
    # Could also add support to check command line for any number of nameservers.

NS=$1 # ===> First command line argument

echo "nameserver $1" > /etc/resolv.conf #===> Overwrites resolv.conf and adds only the nameserver

exit