Find the answer to your Linux question:
Using Samba 2.2.7a-8mdk I'm a big fan of Samba's usability, but I've run into an annoying problem. Samba has been working intermittently for me. For instance, I had thought Samba ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Samba somtimes working, sometimes not.

Using Samba 2.2.7a-8mdk

I'm a big fan of Samba's usability, but I've run into an annoying problem. Samba has been working intermittently for me. For instance, I had thought Samba was broken for a while now since I hadn't been able to access my LAN, but just today I started up and was able to access with no problems. I had been accessing the network via my Linksys router, but recently switched to connecting directly to the computer I need via an ethernet cable. The problem has been present in both situations.

Sometimes during the boot process it will stop on "Starting up SMB services...". X will load and everything will be up and running, but it will still be hung on Virtual Console 1. Occasionally it will not hang, but SMB services won't be running and I get wierd errors on shutdown like "Stopping NMB services... [Failed]". The main way I access Samba services is by typing "smb://" in Nautilus. When its not working I get an error something like "Nautilus is unable to access SMB because Nautilus cannot find the SMB master browser. Check to see that an SMB server is running on the local network and try again." Sometimes I'm able to bypass this problem by using "smb://<computername>", sometimes not.

Does anyone know the cause of this problem and how I can correct it so that Samba services work when I need them?

Windoze?

Is there a WinXP or NT machine on the LAN acting as a master browser? Or is this an all Linix network?

Just Joined!
    The only other machine on the network is a Windows Vista laptop connected wirelessly. I've heard of problems where computers argue with each other about who is in charge of the network, but I don't know what actually happens.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Making Samba your master browser

Quote Originally Posted by virx61 View Post
    The only other machine on the network is a Windows Vista laptop connected wirelessly. I've heard of problems where computers argue with each other about who is in charge of the network, but I don't know what actually happens.
    Unfortunately I know nothing about Vista. However I'd assume that it works like WinXP Pro in this area.

By default WinXP Pro will attempt to become the master computer browser of the network. With all defaults it will generally win out over anything except maybe NT 4.0 Server or Windows Server 2004 (some OS I don't have and now can't remember for sure)

In XP Pro I disabled the service called "computer browser" to stop this behavior (Start-->Run-->services.msc, find computer browser, right click, properties, disable). There is another way to lower it's odds off 'winning the computer browser election' via editing the registry (Run-->regedit) but you'd have to google for those as I don't remember them off the top of my head.

But just to be sure a Windoze machine doesn't take over, in the /etc/samba/smb.conf file, global section, I have this on the machine I want to be the master browser (win the election unless it's down):

Note: the interfaces, bind and netbios options aren't really relevant here.

Code:
    #### Networking ####
    #
       interfaces = lo eth0
       bind interfaces only = true
       netbios name = name-of-samba-server1-here
       announce version = 5.9
       os level = 64
       domain master = yes
       preferred master = yes
       local master = yes
    Since I actually have two samba servers on my network I use this on the 2nd one so it is the backup computer browser and takes over if the other is down (it works):

Code:
    #### Networking ####
    #
       interfaces = lo eth0
       netbios name = name-of-samba-server2-here
       domain master = no
       preferred master = no
       local master = yes
    When I used to let a Windoze machine run the world I think this is what I had (and are probably the defaults):
    Code:
    #### Networking ####
    #
    # 12/2007 - SRG
       interfaces = lo eth0
       netbios name = name-of-samba-server-here
       domain master = no
       preferred master = no
       local master = no
    I hope this is of some help.