Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am having Red Hat Linux 9.0 installed along with Windows XP. I am completely new to Linux. I recently had a problem with my user account password on Win ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Internetworking Linux and Windows

I am having Red Hat Linux 9.0 installed along with Windows XP.
    I am completely new to Linux.
    I recently had a problem with my user account password on Win XP. I feel it is some spyware that might be the reason behind it.

Anyways I have decided to uninstall XP from my system since I am sick of it.
    But the problem is that most of my important data is residing on the drives which can be accessed only through XP. I am unable to login into XP. These drives are inaccessible from Red Hat.

I want to transfer these files to my friend's system who has XP running on it.
    I have seen that Knoppix can access these drives.

Can anyone please help me out as to how can I interconnect my Knoppix with Win XP?

Thanks.

Just Joined!
    Can I assume that the Win XP partitions are NTFS?

If they are you can download and install NTFS support for RedHat 9 and just mount the drives (read-only) and extract your data.

Banned
    have u tryed pressing f8 at startup and logging in in safe mode then the Admin acount???
    Or download support for ntfs and install then extract the data

Andy

Just Joined!
    Could you please tell me where can I get the NTFS support for RedHat 9? I have tried searching at Google but not found good results.

Just Joined!
    Try http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-18047.html
    or try running a live Linux Cd

Just Joined!
    I always keep a knoppix cd handy as they can be a lifesaver when Windows goes wrong.

Knoppix includes ntfs support on a bootable cd

Just Joined!
    Mepis is another good installation to try. I've been having a blast with simply Mepis 2004 since I downloaded it last month. At this point it would be easier for you to just install a newer distro with ntfs support than try to add support to your kernal. I've been into linux for over a year and I'm still a little hazy on how to do that.

Just Joined!
    To access ntfs drives from knoppix, simply boot from the cd and knoppix will show the drives on your desktop giving you acess to them by clicking on them.

As has been just said though, If you are just having a system installed, I would not recommend a distro like Red Hat which is really a dead end distro now

If you like the red hat base then go for Fedora, or any of the newer distros.

Many people have said good things about yoper so you may want to consider that instead of red hat