Find the answer to your Linux question:
Now I've tried to search for this before, I've spent an awful long time searching the net for it, so I've finally given up and decided to ask for help. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Upload Speed Limiting Apache.

Now I've tried to search for this before, I've spent an awful long time searching the net for it, so I've finally given up and decided to ask for help.

I'm trying to switch my Windows 2000 Server to a Slackware Linux server.

My upload bandwidth isn't that great, and therefore I need to be in control of fast Apache can upload.

Currently on Windows, I tend to switch between letting it upload at 18 kB/s, unlimited, and 8kB/s (on rare occasions). This is relativel easy - I use software called NetLimiter.

I'm under the impression that I cannot change the upload speed allowed on Linux on-the-fly, and would need to restart Apache (I think), but can not even work out how to do this.

So basically what I am after, is relatively clear instructions on how I can achieve:

Limiting the speed that Apache can upload at

Being able (with or without restarting a program) to change that limit between 8 kB/s, 18 kB/s, and no limit
    (I suppose I could just give a number equal to my actual limit to do no limit).

Thanks very much for any assistance with this, and especially so if a clear answer can be obtained!

Linux Guru
    to restart apache, use "apachectrl restart"

I think you can use something called "mod_throttle" (an apache module) to provide, well, throttling capability but i have a feeling that may be download only. Check it out anyway as it may be able to.

Mod_throttle: http://www.snert.com/Software/mod_throttle/

Jason

Just Joined!
    jsonlarnbert, I've been trying that module for the last few hours , and cannot get it to do what I want.

I've tried adding:

Code:
    <IfModule mod_throttle.c>
    	ThrottlePolicy Original 7 5

<Location /throttle-status>
    	SetHandler throttle-status
    	</Location>

<Location /throttle-me>
    	SetHandler throttle-me
    	</Location>

<Location /~*/throttle-me>
    	SetHandler throttle-me
    	</Location>
    </IfModule>
    Which I thought should limit the speed to 7, and I'm not sure about the 5 - called "period", but cannot work out how to use this.

Does anyone have an example of what I would add to the httpd.conf in order to limit the upload to, say, 7 kB/s?

Just Joined!
    I am having a similar problem, I want to limit the rate at which the client is posting the data.

I am currently using mod_cband ( for apache 2.0.54) , it works fine for limiting the download rate, but i need to limit the upload rate as well.

Does ne one know a solution to this problem?