Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone, I'm setting up a server, and I decided to run Linux on it (Xubuntu). I want the server to be accessible to both me (locally) and others (via ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Windows to Linux VPN

Hi everyone,

I'm setting up a server, and I decided to run Linux on it (Xubuntu). I want the server to be accessible to both me (locally) and others (via Internet), as per the following crudely drawn diagram:

It's also got to be secure. Basically, I need a point in the right direction. Am I describing something that has to be a VPN? And is mixing operating systems going to pose a problem? I've heard that mixing Linux servers with Windows clients can get touchy when connecting over the Internet.

Thanks

A VPN is used to access a remote (private) network. If you only need to access the linux server from the internet you only need to enable ssh, if you want to get onto your home network and access other pc's on it, etc then a VPN is what you are looking for

If you're looking

for a good VPN to use... I'd suggest Open VPN, it's free and is easy to set up for both windows and linux.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close