Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a nx6110 with a Broadcom 440x 10/100 integrated controller and I cannot connect to the internet. I am still kind of new to linux. Can anyone direct me ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

help setting up ethernet driver

I have a nx6110 with a Broadcom 440x 10/100 integrated controller and I cannot connect to the internet. I am still kind of new to linux. Can anyone direct me in the right direction towards finding this driver, installing it, and being able to connect to the internet?

I'm not 100% on this, but I think you need the b44 driver. First check to see if you have the module loaded (all as root):

lsmod | grep b44

If nothing comes up then check your kernel:

cd /usr/src/linux
    make menuconfig

Device Drivers --->
    Network device support --->
    Ethernet (10 or 100Mbit) --->
    <*> Broadcom 4400 ethernet support

Make sure it is either built it as a module [M] or into the kernel[*]. If it already has an [M] then the module is already available. If this is the case, exit out of the kernel configuration without saving and type:

modprobe b44

Then check to make sure it loaded correctly by typing

lsmod (it should be somewhere in the list)

If you had to switch it to * or M, then you will need to exit, save the configuration, and rebuild the kernel with that support.

(while still in /usr/src/linux)

make && make modules_install
    mount /boot (if it isn't already mounted)
    cp arch/yourarch/boot/bzImage /boot/your_kernel_image
    Then make sure that your grub/lilo config file is pointing to your kernel image

If you built it as a module you can just now type:
    modprobe b44
    (add b44 to the bottom of /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 to have it always load on boot. If you are using a 2.4 kernel, put it in kernel-2.4)
    If you built it into the kernel (with a[*] symbol ) you will require a reboot.

After all of this you will now have the driver (assuming I havn't made a mistake in directing you to use b44)

If your ethernet still does not work then you will have to look at your network setup. If that happens, post your output of ifconfig here and I or someone else will be able to give you a hand.
    Linux since: 2001
    Gentoo since: 2004
    - - - - - - - -
    Translation:
    I fix things until they break.