Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I'm not new to Linux but truly I do not know it all. I need help getting my complete Linux Network working. On Windows this was really easy as all ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

In a Pickle

I'm not new to Linux but truly I do not know it all. I need help getting my complete Linux Network working. On Windows this was really easy as all you had to do was give it the name of the network or domain. I would like to share several folders in between systems internally. All computers are running Fedora 10 and I would like to do this via GNome. I have DHCP working on a smoothwall firewall. Is there any one who can guide me to a website where I can read steps by steps and do it on my own? Is it possible what I want to accomplish?
    Thanks in advance.

Just Joined!

Question notation

Sorry,
    I hope I did not sounder arrogant. I have been on Linux for 6 months and have learned a lot. Tried Google and every wiki I could imagine, I'm stumped. I wrote this threads in hopes one of you may help me this pickle.
    Thanks

Hello and welcome to Linuxforums
    Remember, google is your friend, and will often reward you with a lot of hits!
    linux home networking - Google Search
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Thanks

Mike TBob,
    Thanks for your prompt reply. I had gone to google and searched this exact item.. However, it is jumble to me. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Would love to find a guide like Fedora Tips & Ttricks.
    Again Thanks!

Just Joined!
    I think in a messy situation u cant even predict what u have to do.

Just disable the firewall (If the security is not main concern) and try to do what ever ur sharing... testing ....

NFS is the best option to see.

If u cant disable the firewall, try NFS in separate machines with the same config without firewall, enable firewall and config firewall to allow NFS shares and apply that to ur current config.

Tks & Rgds,

I would suggest, if you need specific help topics, to buy a Redhat/Fedora book from a local retail.....it sure would do a lot of good.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    I would suggest, if you need specific help topics, to buy a Redhat/Fedora book from a local retail.....it sure would do a lot of good.
    Thanks lasantha,,
    I'm giving it a try as we speak. You have no idea how good it feels to know there are still people around who understand that There are also New People and People who do not know it all. I'll post my results once I get the systems to reboot w/o the firewall.
    Thanks a lot

I must have misunderstood your post, I thought you wanted to learn about networking, not how to remove the firewall. I have no problem with new people, it's just that I thought you wanted to share files and whatnot, it isn't easy to sum all that info into one long post, which is why I just showed you the google links.

Just Joined!

Smile MAGNIFICENT JOB MikeTbob

MikeTbob,
    I know you meant well and were trying to help me. I think you have done an excellent job. However, I have been racking my brains for the passed few months trying to resolve this issue. The Google search you sent me and the books I purchased at Barnes and Noble do not seem to
    be guided to people like me (new user and converted from microcaca).. Little by little we grow but not as fast as many others because I'm not a power user,,, I'm simple a user learning the ropes once by one..
    Again thanks for the Awesome job

Just Joined!

Thumbs down Pity

I come in here as a new user to get help and all I get is an alter ego from one of the senior users who is supposed to help. I sent an email to MikeTbob only to make peace and I get nothing back. What a server you guys are running where a new person can't get help.
    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast