Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I was curious if it is possible to directly connect an external usb hard drive with a standard usb to ethernet adapter to a modem and access the information ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Accessing external hard drive from remote location

Hello,

I was curious if it is possible to directly connect an external usb hard drive with a standard usb to ethernet adapter to a modem and access the information remotely? I have seen a device called the Pogoplug that says it does such a thing, but the adapter costs $79. What other alternatives are available if any?

Thanks,

some routers have USB that allows you to share external drives.
    e.g. airport extreme.... Apple - AirPort Extreme

CSR

Just Joined!
    Be careful to read everything you can about routers which have USB ports. I bought a D-Link DIR-655 Xtreme-N router and have upgraded the firmware to the latest version. I am supposed to be able to connect storage devices through the USB port. So far, nothing has worked on that port. I tried a half dozen USB Flash devices and not one has worked. I also tried to use it to network my printer (which is supposed to work), but that has also failed. I suspect that I have a defective USB port on this router, but I do not have the time to take it in for repair. But if it is not a hardware problem, then that means their software is not doing the job.

Also, be aware that the D-Link routers need special software to use the network attached device. It is only available for Windows and Macs. The drivers are not available for Linux (yet?).

It looks like I will have to buy a real NAS for my systems.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close