Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm connected to internet via a router that limits bandwidth for each individual ip. I want to obtain multiple ips to overcome this limit. Fortunately, I can assign a range ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Kind of link aggregation

I'm connected to internet via a router that limits bandwidth for each individual ip. I want to obtain multiple ips to overcome this limit.
    Fortunately, I can assign a range of about 100 ips to my computer, but I have only 1 Ethernet card and 1 link to the router.

I've seen many articles about "Link Aggregation", "Ip Masquerade", etc; but it seems none of them is exactly what I want.

Thanks for any advices ,
    --MCMS

Linux Guru
    Link aggregation is usually done at a layer below the IP address and does not pertain directly to what you are doing.

If you are *hosting* a service (webpage, FTP, whatever) you can have your DNS cycle round-robin thru your IP's so that requesting clients get spread across the different IP's.

Otherwise, you are simply binding multiple IP's to one NIC. You can try playing with your applications to tie them into using a certain IP and thus spreading the load that way...

Just Joined!
    HROAdmin26, thanks for your answer.

Otherwise, you are simply binding multiple IP's to one NIC. You can try playing with your applications to tie them into using a certain IP and thus spreading the load that way...
    That's exactly what I want. I've managed to assign multiple IPs to my NIC, but I want some kind of automatic connection spreading over different virtual interfaces.
    I've seen this trick to do that:
    Code:
    # ip route add default scope global nexthop via xxx.xxx.xxx.1 dev eth0 weight 1 nexthop via xxx.xxx.xxx.1 dev eth0:1 weight 1
    But this didn't work for me.
    Another thing is that link information seem to be incomplete and doesn't have any information about RX/TX:
    Code:
    eth0:1    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr qq:qq:qq:qq:qq:qq
              inet addr:xx.xx.xx.31  Bcast:xx.xx.xx.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
              UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              Interrupt:221 Base address:0xc000