Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello! My ISP gave me a Thomson Speedtouch 536v6 DSL modem , and it's the one I'm using now. This modem is actually a single port router, which even includes ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

DMZ problem: server cannot be accessed through the internet

Hello!

My ISP gave me a Thomson Speedtouch 536v6 DSL modem, and it's the one I'm using now.

This modem is actually a single port router, which even includes firewall and support for assigning the public IP address to a device. So, to connect my other computers, I have a Linksys 5 port switch (EZXS55W) connected to it. In this switch, I have my server which is a modified Wii running Debian 4.0 (etch). The server is working great, but here's my problem:

I assign the public IP Address to the server. When I boot up the server, the server SUCCESSFULLY bounds to the public IP, but the server then tells (its command line only) that "The network is unreachable". The server has no internet connection, and no computer has connection to it through the public IP. I try to ping the public IP, but there is no response.

The funny thing is that I assign the public IP to a windows computer, and it works perfectly fine, but my linux server does not connect. I am having problems only with this configuration, because the ISP I had before gave me a modem with no router, no firewall, nothing. Just a standard cable modem, and I used my Netgear WPN824v2 router to connect the server to the internet via the DMZ settings and it work great, but in this case it is just not working.

Can somebody help me? Any idea of what the heck is happenning?

Thanks!!!

Just Joined!
    Anybody has any info on how to solve this problem?

I am still getting the "SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable" error. I have been making many changes to my modem / router, but I still haven't found any solution, so I guess linux is the one with the problem.

Does the modem/router allow multiple computers to connect
    to the internet at once?

Does it assign addresses automatically by DHCP?

Are you able to log on and configure its settings, and
    if so, does it have the usual options found on most routers?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by rcgreen View Post
    Does the modem/router allow multiple computers to connect
    to the internet at once?

Does it assign addresses automatically by DHCP?

Are you able to log on and configure its settings, and
    if so, does it have the usual options found on most routers?
    Yes, the modem allows multiple computers to connect, it assigns all the ip addresses via DHCP, range from 10.0.0.64 - 10.0.0.137. And yes, the modem has the usual options found on most routers, including options for a firewall, for port forwarding and port triggering, and DMZ stuff. So, by adding a switch I can connect all my computers, and I configured my Netgear router so that it would not assign addresses by DHCP, so that the job is done by the modem. The Netgear router only functions as a wireless access point.

I assign the public IP Address to the server. When I boot up the server, the server SUCCESSFULLY bounds to the public IP, but the server then tells (its command line only) that "The network is unreachable".
    You should be either letting it get an address by DHCP
    or assigning an address in the 10.0.0 subnet, not your public
    address, which is on the internet (WAN) side of the modem.
    Even if it is in the DMZ, it should have an internal address.

Just Joined!
    You should be either letting it get an address by DHCP
    or assigning an address in the 10.0.0 subnet, not your public
    address, which is on the internet (WAN) side of the modem.
    Even if it is in the DMZ, it should have an internal address.
    I don't think I can actually do that with this modem, the only DMZ thing I find here is the "Assign the public IP address to a device" page...

EDIT: This is what the modem's help page says about "Assign the public IP address to a device":

Introduction

On this page you can assign the public IP address of your Internet Connection(s) to a specific device on your local network. You might want to do this if:

You do not want to use the Network Address Translation engine of your SpeedTouch™.

This device is running server applications (Web server,...) and you want it to be accessible from the Internet.

You can also achieve this by creating a port mapping for the specified server, as described in Game & Application Sharing.

This device has to be considered as the unique access point to your local network (DMZ).

Be aware that the device to which you assign the public IP address will lose all security offered by the SpeedTouch™.

Just Joined!
    I did port mapping, but the http webserver can't be accessed through the internet. If I change the port to 81, then I happily can, but not with port 80.

Any ideas on how to make this work?

It looks like your Internet service provider is blocking port 80.

Just Joined!
    It looks like your Internet service provider is blocking port 80.
    Well, it seems I can't do nothing about that. I'll just have to keep using port 81.

Thanks!