Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By br0ken
Hello everyone, I am having a small problem. When I SSH to my home box from work, everything is fine. But if there is about 5 minutes of inactivity, the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

SSH timeout

Hello everyone,
    I am having a small problem. When I SSH to my home box from work, everything is fine. But if there is about 5 minutes of inactivity, the connection dies. Control + C won't kill the SSH and bring me back to my local command line. I looked in the sshd_config file and nothing there seems to be what i am looking for. I am running Ubuntu 8.04 kernel 2.6.24-23-generic. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    raduclona likes this.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by br0ken View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I am having a small problem. When I SSH to my home box from work, everything is fine. But if there is about 5 minutes of inactivity, the connection dies. Control + C won't kill the SSH and bring me back to my local command line. I looked in the sshd_config file and nothing there seems to be what i am looking for. I am running Ubuntu 8.04 kernel 2.6.24-23-generic. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

edit /etc/ssh/ssh_config
    and add this maby to you works
    # echo 60 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_keepalive_time
    # ServerAliveInterval 5

Just Joined!
    Use the verbose option to give us a better detail of the issue. What's the exact error you're seeing? "Connection timeout" usually meant your firewall is preventing access to the port its seeking.