Find the answer to your Linux question:
hey guys. brand new to Linux and their networking. i inherited the position of keeping our neuroimaging lab running and we are having a problem running our new computer on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

newb requesting help

hey guys. brand new to Linux and their networking. i inherited the position of keeping our neuroimaging lab running and we are having a problem running our new computer on the network. we had a comp that backed up the harddrive and data files for our use to another computer and the professor who owned the computer took it when he was fired. i am now trying to set up out system to back itself up to another computer and cannot set this up so it works. i have been on three other forums and still yet to rectify the problem. most of the the responses were too technical and implied i understood the lingo.

we have our host that we want to back up to our other computer and cannot simply change the command line to do this...or at least are not doing it properly. any ideas of why i cannot do this? please remember i am a newb and need very basic instructions to make this work.

any other way that is better than our usual system will work too. thankyou

nick

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Assuming all the systems you want to back up are Linux systems, you can use the rsync facility. For more information, read the man page. Open a terminal window to get a command line, and execute the command: man rsync - hopefully you will be able to decypher the information in that.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!