Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi ever body iam new in linux but really i get it amazing but still need some help i have a dsl network with 38 user and iam the admin ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question how to make network server

hi ever body
    iam new in linux but really i get it amazing but still need some help

i have a dsl network with 38 user and iam the admin but i have some problems some user useing netcut and sniffer programs and others use torrent and programs make the pings to hight
    just i want ask if i can make a server with linux to stop the net cut and let me control the bandwith limit for every user like make the max rate for every one 50kb/sec hope some one can help me

Just Joined!
    I would suggest you google around for setting up a linux box as a router. You'd need a DHCP server for administering internal IPs, something to manage port forwarding, and probably would want to use IPtables (which, as I recall, can do port forwarding if configured right, but that's complicated) to set up a firewall.

Additionally, depending on the make and model of your main router, you may be able to do the things you need via its firmware, or swap out the existing firmware with something more sophisticated.

A third approach is that if you are willing to spend some money, buy a DD-WRT compatible router. DD-WRT is advanced linksys firmware that can be used to greatly improve your control over your router.

I'd give more details, but google can help you more thoroughly and faster than I can - hope this gets you started in the right direction.