Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hallo all, Please help. I have installed Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy) on my PC, now it doesn't have codecs to play media files and other components need to be downloaded. The ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ubuntu connecting to internet problems

Hallo all,

Please help. I have installed Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy) on my PC, now it doesn't have codecs to play media files and other components need to be downloaded. The internet connection i have is through my cellphone. I cant seem to connect using my phone when using Linux. How can i connect to my cellphone and thus connect my Ubuntu to the Internet. I don't use an ISP its just a data connection i use with Vodacom (my cellphone network). I live in South Africa.

Thanking you in advance,

Yours

Rodemire

I would suggest installing version 8.10 as it has much better support for tethering and networking (it was one of the versions main focuses). I was surprised after I installed 8.10 and plugged in my cell that it auto detected as a modem and immediately let me use it for internet.
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Just Joined!

Ubuntu 7.10 connecting to cellphone modem

I undastand jmadero,but me getting anotha distro may be a problem. I have received help from some guys bt i havnt been able to get mine to work. How do i know what my cellphone usb device is? How can i find that out? Is it /dev/ttys0 etc?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close