Find the answer to your Linux question:
With the move to the new house, I find that I need three wireless connections and only have two WUSB devices. My main network connection is a Linksys Wireless Router ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Using an Access Point instead of a WUSB...

With the move to the new house, I find that I need three wireless connections and only have two WUSB devices. My main network connection is a Linksys Wireless Router that has a few local ports (one of which I use) as well as the 802.11b support.

I also have a Linksys WAP that I used before I got the router, and it seems like I should be able to have the WAP work to give my other machine an ethernet connection to the wireless router.

IOW, setup my LFS box with an ethernet connection to the WAP, and then the WAP connect to the router to provide my internet connection.

Should this really work? If so, any idea of what I need to do to get the WAP to work properly? I know under Windows I could configure the WAP using a USB connection and program, but Linksys doesn't seem to have a similar option for Linux.

Thanks,
    Ewan

Is there no other way to configure the WAP? Read the manual...I believe that you can configure it via http in your browser.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Guru
    That's how mine is, too, Sarumont. If I point my browser to 192.168.0.1, I get an interface with the router.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    Unfortunately, the WAP11 doesn't support that kind of configuration (although my router device does). Instead it only supports USB from Windows, and a somewhat non-standard SNMP that also pretty much requires Windows.

I can hook it up to a Windows machine and pull up it's configuration, but then am still unclear if I should leave it at it's default as an Access Point, set it up as an Access Point Client, or call it a point-to-point or multipoint Wireless bridge.

Which is why I'm hoping someone else here might have tried this already and could give me a suggestion.

There's always the option of getting another WUSB of course, but that's some money I was rather hoping to avoid spending...

Thanks,
    Ewan

Just Joined!

A method I used

I have done this very thing, the only problem I ran into was the use of the same device. I have a local network at my house, which I run into a Linksys AP out a dish on my antenna, over to a building (a few blocks away) then into that antenna (omni) into the building, then also over to a third building (another few blocks away). The best way we found to do that was to run point to point, or point to multi-point depending on how many you want to add. You will not be able to do this, because point to point stops your other cards from getting the signal, your router will only send information to the other AP. You will need to set up your AP next to your computer (the remote one) get the MAC address of your wireless router, and see if you can access it in client mode. The point to point works great to extend your network, but it isn't what you want. Now when I have tried to access the other access point as a client the easiest is to have two identical models, which you don't have, so good luck! If I were to start doing this I would enable SSID transmission, and disable any encryption, this will make it easy, then go from there. Good luck!