Find the answer to your Linux question:
Apologies for incomplete information, but wanted to at least get a thread started in case there's something simple which I've overlooked. I'm new to Linux, currently have Fedora Core 7 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question newbie network issues

Apologies for incomplete information, but wanted to at least get a thread started in case there's something simple which I've overlooked. I'm new to Linux, currently have Fedora Core 7 installed on 2 old PCs (Dell Dimension XPS T450 as a server, Packard-Bell (unknown model) as a workstation) both with gigabit ethernet NICs going through a gigabit switch, both configured with static IP addresses. I can "ping" the Dell from the Packard-Bell and it appears to be successful (i.e., no packets lost), which tells me that the connection is being made, but if I try to remotely log into the Dell I get a "Host Unreachable". And if I "ping" the P-B from the Dell I get no response (all packets lost). No firewall on either machine, to my knowledge - I opted for "no firewall" during installation, since there is no ISP currently. Any suggestions?

Also, this may not be the correct place to ask, but an advice about which "flavor" of Linux might be best for my situation would be appreciated. Besides the two machines described above, I also have an older Compaq running Windows 98SE which I would like to continue using to run MS-Office but keeping the majority of my files on the Dell server. I'm planning to add a PCI-SATA or -RAID card to the Dell so any suggestions for vendors of these who support Linux drivers would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance ...

Just Joined!
    well perhaps you have selinux enabled which is common on FC.

check your IP tables

as root:

Code:
    iptables --flush
    then ping