Find the answer to your Linux question:
Here's the rub... I have a server running a firewall. (iptables) I have 5 computers behind the firewall that can access the web, this works fine. When I am working ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

[SOLVED] Server allows internet, server can't internet!

Here's the rub...

I have a server running a firewall. (iptables) I have 5 computers behind the firewall that can access the web, this works fine. When I am working from the server, I get no web access! From the server, I can ping all the clients, I can ping the modem, I can ping both NIC's (Internal and external) but I cannot get through to the outside if I am on the server. I've looked through a lot of Google searches but I cannot find the magic words to get my answer.

Is there a specific line (or line) I need in the iptables route that will allow web access when on the server?

Check your /etc/resolv.conf file, it should have your DNS listed there. If not, then copy it over from one on your other machines (if one is Linux based).
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Whoa.....

Trusted Penguin, I salute your quick, and even better, correct response. I totally missed that one. Changed the file as per your suggestion and now all is well. A HUGE thanks to Mike Tbob for your response and thanks to linuxforums!

I go now to change my signature to '...I can do almost anything.'

You are Welcome, do start new threads if you have any new problems that you need help with. Enjoy.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.