Find the answer to your Linux question:
How could I connect to the wireless network from a PC which has installed Linux, and which is connected via LAN-cable to a Windows machine which then, is connected to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Wireless through Windows machine

How could I connect to the wireless network from a PC which has installed Linux, and which is connected via LAN-cable to a Windows machine which then, is connected to the internet through a wireless card. The provider uses PPTP protocol with username, password and static IP.
    Obviously, the Linux PC can connect to the internet when the Windows one is switched on. This cannot be changed, since the network is not mine. They used to used some shared folder on WinPC, and had also Windows on presently Linux one, and they had a dialog GUI for connections.
    The provider have given description for SUSE, but for direct connections. They use DSL option.
    Any experiences? Ideas?
    If you need a CD/DVD catalogizer, give a try to my program:
    http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...content=100682
    Linux Usert#430188

Just Joined!

Thumbs up

Which distro are you using?

From my perspective, get your own wireless modem to dial out to the same access point! That way, you eliminate dependence on the other machine for connectivity. So try to first identify the wireless modem (assuming you have one), then configure the system to dial out via it in order to connect to your preferred access point. It doesn't rely much on whether it's windows, provided the accesspoint is functioning and transmitting to its dependants.
    Last edited by njuguna; 03-26-2009 at 08:41 PM. Reason: clarification