Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone, In my home we use a wired network, and there are four computers already connected to one eight ports hub (also the router is connected). I'm about to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] A single network cable, two computers, and one hub's port available, Is it p

Hello everyone,

In my home we use a wired network, and there are four computers already connected to one eight ports hub (also the router is connected).

I'm about to add a computer to my current home network, but the problem is that for setting it up, I need a very long cable in order to connect it directly to the hub.

I already have one computer just next to the one that I want to add to the network, (so there is one cable that reaches there already).

I hope I made myself clear so far,

My question is: Can I somehow split the cable that is already there, so that I will be able to use THE SAME NETWORK CABLE CONNECTED TO ONE PORT OF THE HUB in two computers at the same time separately?

Is it physically possible?

Thank you a lot!

Mauricio

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by tauro_kpo View Post
    I already have one computer just next to the one that I want to add to the network, (so there is one cable that reaches there already).
    a). Easy way buy another hub and extend the network.

b). Hardway, if your only using 10/100MB link then only two pairs of the cat 5 are used (you need to look up which pairs are actually used). You need an adapter that takes 2 ports from the hub and merges them over the single cable (each connection requires 2 pairs and there are 4 in cat 5 cable). and an adapter that break the 2 into sperate plugs/sockets on the other side. I'm sure I've seen an adapter somewhere but can't remember at the mo.

I would do it using method (a) - a 5 - port switch/hub are < 10 in the UK (not sure for your local prices), far simpler and provides a few spare network points at the remote site.
    In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

Just Joined!
    I guess I'll end up buying a switch.

Thank you all very much.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close