Find the answer to your Linux question:
Okay, let me take a DEEEEP breath... <inhales> This is a router/firewall with 7 interfaces - it needs to do quite a bit... smile.gif SWITCH(Cable Modem Network) -->eth0 --firewall-- eth6 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Advanced Networking - Multiple gateways, routing question

Okay, let me take a DEEEEP breath... <inhales>

This is a router/firewall with 7 interfaces - it needs to do quite a bit... smile.gif

SWITCH(Cable Modem Network) -->eth0 --firewall-- eth6 --> cable modem(bridge)
    SWITCH(DSL Modem Network) -->eth1 --firewall-- eth5 --> DSL Modem(bridge)
    SWITCH(PXEBoot Network) -->eth2 --firewall
    CORP. Network -->eth3 --firewall
    WIFI AP -->eth4 --firewall-- eth5 --> DSL Modem (previously mentioned)

Here's the problem. The networks that need to access the net through their corresponding devices need to do so, while at the same time allowing people from the large corporate network (multi subnet, routed, very complex) to access the firewall box.. for other reasons.

The problem is, it seems that each device wants to have only 1 default gateway assigned for them in order to route packets appropriately for their network... So, how do I get all of this working at the same time.

I need:

CM users -->firewall--> CM
    CM users --> Firewall
    DSL users -->firewall--> DSL
    DSL users --> Firewall
    WIFI users -->firewall-->DSL
    WIFI users -->firewall
    Corp Network Users --> Firewall
    PXE Users --> Firewall

No matter what combination of gateways I use, nothing seems to work.. they just don't play nice with each other.

The OS is Gentoo 2004.2, and the kernel is 2.4.27.. newest iptables, shorewall 2.0.7, etc.

Any ideas?

--Micah

Just Joined!

Default gateway

You will not be able to assign more than one default gateway, and that is by the default gateway meaning itself...

All that you need is routing and forwarding...

To help you trace a design map, a scheme in paper of yor network and assign to each gateway (multihomed, internetworking device) a single and unique name/identifier.

Doing this you will help you, and then we can uderstand you much better.

PS: Sory my english...

Just Joined!
    This is not a very complex problem. We have implemented a similar setup for our company. What you need to do is to define routing tables for your routing needs. and then firewall the interfaces.

the command "ip" will be your friend in this.

Cheers

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close