Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am currently in Afghanistan on an extremely slow connecting that approximately 40 of us are sharing. I am trying to limit each person's bandwidth to a certain amount, but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Rate Limiting

I am currently in Afghanistan on an extremely slow connecting that approximately 40 of us are sharing. I am trying to limit each person's bandwidth to a certain amount, but cannot physically go to their computers and put limits on them that way. (plus, I don't want to fix all of their computers when we get back either lol). I was wondering if anyone knew how to do this.
    Our current config is modem -> router -> 48 port switch -> computers. I don't know what brand the modem, the router, or the switch is, except to tell you that the router is of the "best buy" variety (linksys, netgear, dlink... something like that). Any help would be appreciated, since we are stuck on a small base and this isn't actually my job, just trying to make sure everyone gets their fair share of internet. In hindsight, I should never have let slip that I know about some of this stuff lol. Anyway, thanks in advance .

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    To limit the amount of upstream bandwidth each client system is using would be up to the router. Unless it already has such a feature, it probably isn't going to be possible. That said, it probably isn't necessary. The nature of TCP/IP is that it is inherently "fair", in that it will give no particular advantage to any packet it gets, and that it is a first-come/first-served situation. Packets are limited in size to approximately 1500 bytes and if 10 ports on the switch all get a packet at once, by the time it services any port again, the other 9 will/should have been sent or processed. In fact, ethernet will not priorities data in this way. When you want to guarantee QOS (Quality of Service) for services such as VOIP that need priority, then it is up to the router to do that.

Now, newer consumer (what you call BestBuy) routers are more frequently providing QOS features that can be configured to your needs. You will need to access the administration web page inside your router to see if that is the case for you. If it has such a feature, you might be able to configure it to meet your specific needs. Here is a web page from Linksys/Cisco about one of their product's QOS features: Answer
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!