Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello I'm currently checking how to provide SOHO customers with a compact, quiet device under Linux to run a Freeswitch telephony server and a LAMP web server. I know about ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Question List of quiet/compact devices that can run Linux?

Hello

I'm currently checking how to provide SOHO customers with a compact, quiet device under Linux to run a Freeswitch telephony server and a LAMP web server.

I know about the Linkys WRT54 line of products, along with others like the Planex MZK-W04NU, but I'd like to get the big picture and know what my options are, and make sure that the device is powerful enough to support the above applications and it doesn't take weeks of tinkering to get the box up and running.

Do you know of an up-to-date list of such < $150 appliances/devices?

Thank you for any tip.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    There are a number of paperback sized x86 computers that will do what you want, and because they are using PC chip sets and have some kind of on-board video, you can pretty much install any standard distribution on them that you would like. Here is one from buy.com that you basically just add the cpu, memory, drives that you want: AOpen miniPC Duo MP965-DR Barebone System with Remote Control - 91.MA601.B3W0 - Buy.com - bare system is just over $300USD.

Oh well, I just noticed you want something for < $150USD. Just remember, Google is your friend!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by littlebigman View Post
    Hello

I'm currently checking how to provide SOHO customers with a compact, quiet device under Linux to run a Freeswitch telephony server and a LAMP web server.

I know about the Linkys WRT54 line of products, along with others like the Planex MZK-W04NU, but I'd like to get the big picture and know what my options are, and make sure that the device is powerful enough to support the above applications and it doesn't take weeks of tinkering to get the box up and running.

Do you know of an up-to-date list of such < $150 appliances/devices?

Thank you for any tip.
    Ok. Let's try again. For a telephony/VOIP server that also has processing bandwidth to handle work as a LAMP server, you will need something with more horsepower than a Linksys WRT54 class system. That is basically a router that runs an embedded Linux and a mini-web server. It definitely has not enough storage and processor/memory capacity to do much more than it does already. However, there are a number of small form factor fanless (quiet) systems that have more complete capabilities, such as internal disc drive, CD/DVD ROM, and x86 class CPU's which will do the job very nicely, though likely at a somewhat higher price point than you indicated. You can skip the CD/DVD player, go with a small hard drive, and do initial boot from USB to install the system. I would guess that you could put together a 1GB system w/ Celeron, VIA, or other low-power CPU w/ 40-80GB hard drive for under $300USD. Under $150, I think is a stretch. Start googling components and see what kind of parts/price list you come up with.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Thanks for the pointers. Looks like moded routers aren't powerful enough to run a VoIP + LAMP server with acceptable performance, so I'll just look at small-form-factor PCs instead.