Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a netgear pci card, wireless 6. I dotn have the information with me here at work. I want to actually convert to freebsd, but im not sure if ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux is similar to fbsd. But will netgear work?

I have a netgear pci card, wireless 6. I dotn have the information with me here at work. I want to actually convert to freebsd, but im not sure if it will alow me to get online, a while back I ran slack ware with a linksys wmp11 v4 pci card, but I couldnt get online. So i bought another pci card hearing rumors that it was compatible with *nix. I am having difficulty finding drivers for the netgear pci card. If you could help me I thank you MUCH!, thank you all in advance!. (eNIX)

Certain chipsets for certain wireless cards have given me trouble in Linux, usually due to the manufacturer either not writing a driver for it or not allowing the OSS community to make one themselves. There are 2 options that I've found, one is free but hard to get working (in my experience), the other is not free (or at least not free after the 30-day trial). The free option is a program on sourceforge called ndiswrapper. I've tried to get it working with only mediocre success. The other is Linuxant's DriverLoader which I have gotten to work, and quite well.

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/
    http://www.linuxant.com
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

Wait

I knwo what you mean. I went to the page and it has no listed drivers for freebsd. Or netgear. Heres a list.

DriverLoader (Wireless LAN) downloads

Not logged in.
    [Log in]

Please choose your distribution and kernel architecture or the proper package(s) for your system below.
    Distribution-specific binary packages (easiest to install)

If your distribution/architecture is not listed, or you are using a special enterprise/secure/SMP or custom (self-compiled) kernel, or the package does not work with your kernel version, you should try one of the generic packages with source below instead.
    Linux Distribution Kernel Architecture*
    Fedora Core 2 IMPORTANT*, CHOOSE PROPERLY: i586 i686
    Fedora Core 1 IMPORTANT*, CHOOSE PROPERLY: i586 i686 athlon
    RedHat Enterprise Linux 3.0 IMPORTANT*, CHOOSE PROPERLY: i586 i686 athlon
    RedHat 9, 8.0, 7.3 IMPORTANT*, CHOOSE PROPERLY: i386 i586 i686 athlon
    Mandrake 10.1, 10.0, 9.2, 9.1, 9.0, 8.2 x86
    SuSE 9.1, 9.0, 8.2, 8.1, 8.0, 7.3 x86
    Turbolinux 10, 8 x86

* Note: Fedora and RedHat users may find out their exact kernel architecture (which is not always the same as "uname -m" output) with the following case-sensitive shell command:
    rpm -q --qf '%{ARCH}\n' kernel

Generic packages with source

To use these generic packages, kernel-source and the gcc C compiler must be properly installed on your system to dynamically build the driver modules upon installation.

Format KArch Filename Size MD5 Checksum (md5sum)
    RPM x86 driverloader-2.07-1.i386.rpm.zip
    (use on RPM-based systems like Mandrake/RedHat/SuSE with custom or unsupported kernels) 352K a1b394ebbff6806bd1d25ab662ec6874
    DPKG x86 driverloader_2.07_i386.deb
    (use on Debian-based systems) 345K e0a9e57b6ac366fd6051ad9b242bf770
    TAR x86 driverloader-2.07.tar.gz
    (option of last resort compatible with the most systems)

Ok thank you in advance I am willing to pay!