Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello chaps, I have been trying to figure out a way to do this but have failed. I want to set up a customer DNS server on ubuntu or any ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

DNS prank for geek night/party

hello chaps,

I have been trying to figure out a way to do this but have failed.

I want to set up a customer DNS server on ubuntu or any other distro (ubuntu is already installed ) and point a routers DNS settings to this, then make the DNS server return the same IP for every response, maybe set up forwarding to an incorrect IP and return an IP address of an error page etc.

Im going to a party of geeks, and want to make everyone lose the game

Is this possible and easily set up?

I was thinking of manually setting the DNS in the clients i own to my ISP dns servers so i can still browse the net

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I see. You want us to teach you the techniques of poisoning DNS caches? Bogus dude! This is one of the major malware problems in the internet these days! Find another way to pwn your competition!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Fair enough really, i mean it was my first post on the forum

I think i will hack the host file on the router, asuming it has one that is!

spent all night trying to think of the best way, now im in work before 8am and reaaaaaaly tired

Thanks for reading tho

At least you were honest about your intentions, but given how much this sort of thing is going on, I at least am somewhat sensitive about helping people figure out how to pwn the computers of others. Also, if your "hack" got into the wild, you would be liable for severe legal penalties!

Just Joined!
    this is true, im honestly only going to play a prank on a local network and have figured out how to do it (in theory).

Im new to the linux world and loving learning how to use it, bored of windows.

Just make sure that all links to the internet (wired, wireless, dialup, whatever) are severed before you do this, and that you restore or clear the cache before you reconnect anything. If ANYONE in this "game" has a live connection to the net, then all bets are off, so to speak.

Just Joined!
    Sounds maliciouse enough