Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, At the lab I'm doing research at, we have a motorized mechanical finger hooked up to a Linux box and a cyberglove (which receives data based off joint ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Networking Linux to Windows in real time

Hi all,

At the lab I'm doing research at, we have a motorized mechanical finger hooked up to a Linux box and a cyberglove (which receives data based off joint angles of the hand) for which only Windows software is available. We are able to use the numeric data from Windows software in order to activate the motors, but the only way to send it to the Linux box (as of now) is via large file transfer on the network/flash drive/etc.

We would really like to be able to hook up the cyberglove data to the Linux box in real time, so that we could move the mechanical finger in real time.

Unfortunately there's no Linux/networking gurus around the lab, so it's up to me to figure this out. Is there some way I could set up the Windows system to rapidly fire packets upon data entry and have the Linux box pick them up as they are sent? (Maybe I would have to synchronize send/receive?)

Thanks for any help,

Sterling

Just put both boxes in same subnet thats all. it will bring them in a network.
    TCP=synchronized transfer itself.
    Is there is special protocol you are using to send information from windows to linux?
    If theres a custom server on windows made for your device Linux must have a compatible client interface to listen that boradcast.
    Never make any misteaks.

Read my Blog at --> Penguin Inside Subscribe Feed

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You need someone who can write some software to move the data between the systems. Some sort of message bus such as JMS, TIB/RV, or even simple TCP/IP messages will do. It has to establish a connection between the Windows PC and the Linux system. What approach would work best - a message bus or direct TCP/IP connections depends a lot upon the API's provided by the WIndows and Linux software. You need a bridge between them.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

hehe, thats quite programming stuff.
    Never make any misteaks.

Here's a hammer for your nail...have you come across netcat?

Netcat - a couple of useful examples

Check out the first example, it allows you to create a kind of realtime chat system, so you might be able to pass data that way.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney View Post
    Here's a hammer for your nail...have you come across netcat?

Netcat - a couple of useful examples

Check out the first example, it allows you to create a kind of realtime chat system, so you might be able to pass data that way.
    Heard about it, but never considered or used it. That might be a good idea, assuming that they can hook it to their Windows application. Is it available for Windows? I'm sure it is for Cygwin, but natively?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Yes its also ported to windows, but never found it.
    Never make any misteaks.

Just Joined!
    Actually easy socket programming over the TCP would do it ...
    download some programming langauge called gambas, in the sample projects you will find 2 projects .. one of them to send data and the other to recieve (Server & client). its ready to use .. you can do some simple modification to it to do the job.