Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey ninjas! On the LAN i operate there are several servers and workstations which all uses a Linux/Bind box as the primary DNS server. I want to assign all machines ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

DNS host names without domain using Bind

Hey ninjas!
    On the LAN i operate there are several servers and workstations which all uses a Linux/Bind box as the primary DNS server. I want to assign all machines on the LAN host names, but without any domain name part. So i want Bind to resolve e.g. 'myserver1' to the IP of one of the servers, so i will be able to write //myserver in order to access that box.

How do i configure that in Bind? Do i need to set up a zone for each host, or can i put the host names in a single zone (like i would if i used a domain)? If so, which zone?

You really need some kind of domain name to make this all work smoothly, but you can make your clients ignore it for mundane tasks.

Dropping the domain part of the search is handled by local configuration, not a central one. If your machine is part of a private domain, then specifying a search line (e.g. 'search mydomain.com') at the start of a machines /etc/resolv.conf will achieve this.

This is slightly more complicated, however, if you have DHCP on your network assigning IP addresses (and subnet masks, nameserver IP's, etc.) - that will override the contents of /etc/resolve.conf each time it renews the IP address. It does make it a bit easier to control, though, as you only need to make sure your DHCP server is providing the correct DNS and domain information.

If you want to use \\<computername> then you need to configure Samba correctly on you samba workgroup or domain (that's windwos domain, not the internet type one) controller, as it uses the SMB networking protocol to resolve machine names - which has its own mechanisms it tries before reverting to BIND.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/