Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello I m a little confused I have mounted a volume using NFS from the server with permissions 755 (drwxr-xr-x). I can get inside this directory and cp the file ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

permission to copy a file and write

hello
    I m a little confused I have mounted a volume using NFS from the server with permissions 755 (drwxr-xr-x). I can get inside this directory and cp the file to the required destination and then edit them . But inside the main source directory I can't do anyting . So was wondering which permission in here allows me to cp the file. I make a wild guess that 'w' in the 1st part is the one but it is supposed to be of the owner right? But I m not the owner of this file which is pretty obvious . But if that w specifies that I can copy the files then it very well means that i can even create the files provided we have a (rw) in the /etc/exports file.
    Only if I could understand the man pages
    Registered Linux user #492640

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You are correct that it is the missing 'w' permissions on the directory that is keeping you from modifying it (adding/deleting/modifying files). One of several things need to happen:

1. You are made owner of the directory
    2. The directory permissions are changed to allow write access to group and you need to be a member of the group.
    3. The directory permissions are changed to allow write access to others.

Just because you have NFS read/write access to the the export directories, doesn't mean that you have read/write access to its contents...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

ya thats right apart form the read write permission on the exported volume you need access ( rw) in the others section of permission. I figured that out after some R&D
    Only if I could understand the man pages
    Registered Linux user #492640

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close