Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have DSL connection in eth0. For whatever reason, I want to communicate with my own machine routing the traffic as a non-local traffic. But when I use my internet ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Route external IP through the ISP

I have DSL connection in eth0. For whatever reason, I want to communicate with my own machine routing the traffic as a non-local traffic.

But when I use my internet IP, something happen and the connection is done local (like via localhost).

I've tried to change route without look. I've bring down "lo", and then my external IP just didn't work, while others internet IPs works.

How can I accomplish that?

Thanks,

Adriano

Linux Enthusiast
    What are you using to attempt a remote connection? What distro are you using?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    What are you using to attempt a remote connection? What distro are you using?
    I used netcat to listen and to connect. I'm using Ubuntu 9.04.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    Okay, sounds to me like your routing tables maybe the issue and/or (more likely) the appropriate protocols have not been properly configured in IP Tables. Have you allowed the protocols and the proper routes from the public IP to the internal IP? As I understand your OP, you are seeking to communicate to your Linux box remotely via public IP that is directly connected to your Linux box via a DSL modem, correct? If so, then your firewall must be configured to allow the necessary ports and protocols to communicate to either localhost and/or a private IP. Hope this clears the mud.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    Okay, sounds to me like your routing tables maybe the issue and/or (more likely) the appropriate protocols have not been properly configured in IP Tables. Have you allowed the protocols and the proper routes from the public IP to the internal IP? As I understand your OP, you are seeking to communicate to your Linux box remotely via public IP that is directly connected to your Linux box via a DSL modem, correct? If so, then your firewall must be configured to allow the necessary ports and protocols to communicate to either localhost and/or a private IP. Hope this clears the mud.
    I do want to communicate with my machine, from the same machine, but through the internet. This would be for testing purposes.

I don't see how can't it be the firewall or routes. I've tried all sort of route changes, and don't see how iptables could handle the "problem". The ports are already opened for in/out traffic.

I just want my public IP (with a DSL modem) destination traffic to go to my ISP and assume it route. But some shortcut is taken on my machine.

You say testing is what you want this for but what are you trying to test? What are you trying top prove?

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazydog View Post
    You say testing is what you want this for but what are you trying to test? What are you trying top prove?
    Testing speed/latency developing a software with a new protocol. I wan't to see real speed/latency impact, and not have the bytes transfering very fast locally.

Quote Originally Posted by asfernandes View Post
    I wan't to see real speed/latency impact
    You are not going to see this without having another box on the network to send the traffic to. Speed and Latency have more to do with then just your connection to your ISP. a lot of things will effect the numbers here.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted