Find the answer to your Linux question:
The title expresses the entire insane idea. I want to connect two computers, both having Linux but not having the processor power to bother dropping in an ethernet card, together ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question [SOLVED] How can I connect two or three computers...via dialup modem?

The title expresses the entire insane idea.

I want to connect two computers, both having Linux but not having the processor power to bother dropping in an ethernet card, together by their dial-up modems. No dial-up internet, just a network. The one and ONLY how-to I could find was on Wikibooks, and was for Windows and Hyperterminal

Yes, I know it probably isn't worth my time, and yes...come to think of it...it would probably be easier to connect via serial ports, but where's the fun in that?

So, if anyone could show me to either a how-to or the looney bin, that would be great.

X_X It sounds like a problem from 80's
    but I actually never tried that.
    Never make any misteaks.

Read my Blog at --> Penguin Inside Subscribe Feed

Linux User
    Try web search
    linux with Hyperterminal - Ask.com Search
    might help.

You will need some hardware.

One necessity for a reliable connection of this type is a "line simulator", a device to provide simulation of a telephone line, supplying the line current that modems are designed to work with. For our purposes, a very simple home-made circuit will do the job (you should be able to find most, if not all, of the parts at a Radio Shack store). This connects between two telephone modular jacks, and the two modems plug into the jacks
    Connecting two computers using their modems, without a telephone line

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by rcgreen View Post
    Whoa. Electronic wiring. I don't think my skills are up to that, unfortunately, although if I find that I have the parts in some of my nonfunction electronics, I might try to put something together.

Thanks for your help, everybody. I think between rcgreen's innovative suggestion, and Lostfarmer's pointing me in the right direction, I'll be able to piece this together.