Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I am using CentOS 5.2. When I freshly boot the system, The network works fine. But after restarting the network by giving the following command keeping IP as ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problem in network in CentOS after restarting network

Hi all,

I am using CentOS 5.2. When I freshly boot the system, The network works fine. But after restarting the network by giving the following command keeping IP as same:
    service network restart
    something weird happens. I am able to ping to any other system on the network. But if I try to connect to it by rdesktop, vncviewer,etc. it fails to connect. It keeps on trying indefinitely to connect to the other system with no success or failure. I have to interrupt the process by pressing Ctrl+C.

When I tried to look at the strace log of the command "rdesktop <ip_address>", my system was stuck at the 'select()' system call. Same happens for other applications like vncviewer/ssh,etc.

Kindly help me out.

Thanks in advance.
    Siddharth Kapoor

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You say you are keeping the IP the same. How do you know? Are you using DHCP, or is your system assigned a static address?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    I am assigning static IP. The first time I assign the IP address (static) everything works fine. But then if I restart my network, keeping the same IP address (which was working fine previously), the network responds wierdly as said in my previous post. The only solution remains is rebooting the whole system. After a reboot, network works fine again.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    It could be an IP address collision if another system on the network is getting the same address, either because it was incorrectly assigned the one you are using, you are incorrectly using one assigned to another computer, or you have selected an address in the range of dhcp addresses that your dhcp server can allocate and it has temporarily assigned the same address to another computer. Without being "hands on" with your system I cannot say for sure, but these are the sort of problems I've found in the past, usually because some bonehead in the organization had their laptop set to "static" addressing at home and then came into the office and forgot to reset it to "dynamic" addressing, resulting in lots of network fun and games (not).

Just Joined!
    Hi Rubberman,

Thanx for ur reply, but there was no such IP collision that u were talking about. I myself have faced issues with IP collision, but this time I made sure that there was no IP collision.
    But after two days of troubleshooting, I found out where the issue was. I figured out that the issue was with the network driver. My system had Marvell Technologies' network card and was using sky2 driver. Further googling took me to a link which made me familiar eith the hard fact that the sky2 driver was buggy and had lots of bugs. I found a specific patch on the CentOS site:

<Sorry linux forums doesn't allow me to post the URL. But you can find the patch by googling "centOS 5 sky2 patch" without double qoutes.>

This patch helped me solve the issue.

Glad you sorted it out. When asking for help with non-trivial problems like this, it saves a lot of time and can help get focus on the root cause of your problem if you are more forthcoming with what you have done and what you have already checked into. We can only go on what you tell us, so taking that into account we are only able to provide our best "guess" from experience.