Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi! My first post.... :o/ I've just installed Suse 9.1 Personal. I want to use it so i can connect to a server with the command "ssh servername". It works ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problem connecting to distant server

Hi! My first post.... :o/

I've just installed Suse 9.1 Personal. I want to use it so i can connect to a server with the command "ssh servername". It works but i want to launch emacs and i want this program (or others) to be opened in a new window. But... doesn't seem to work. My display is defined as my internal IP (behind a router), so i think this is the problem : my router blocking something (?). Can someone help me ?

Thanks for all the info you can provide!
    Phil

Linux Engineer
    you can't open emacs on a remote server in another window from an ssh client.. it's just not designed to work that way. (at least i've never seen one that can do it.)
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by lordnothing
    you can't open emacs on a remote server in another window from an ssh client.. it's just not designed to work that way. (at least i've never seen one that can do it.)
    So... is it possible to do it another way? Is it possible to work on a file on my computer and have a symbolic link on the distant server ? so when i compile on the server it reach the file that are on my computer?

Thanks for the reply!
    Phil