Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello Everybody, I have a query. Right now I have 5 machines all of them are connected in LAN. They are Pentium 4 machines with 1 GB RAM and 80 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Maintaing small LAN using Fedora 11

Hello Everybody,
    I have a query. Right now I have 5 machines all of them are connected in LAN.
    They are Pentium 4 machines with 1 GB RAM and 80 GB HDD. On all of them I have installed Fedora 11 separately. And created one normal user on each of them. My problem is I cant't access all the accounts from one system. If I have to check or solve any problem on these systems I have to go there separately
    So can somebody tell me how to make a small network, in which as a administrator I can control all these five machines from one terminal?

Also whether I have to dedicate one extra machine as server or I can use any system as administrator just by logging in as root?

And whether I have to install fedora on only one machine or is it ok that I am having separate fedora on each of them?

And can I use different distributions(ubuntu,fedora.opensuse) in this kind of setup?

Thanks for your help...

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    One way to solve your problem is to use SSH. Enable ssh on your computers and you can then login remotely from a different computer. you don't need a separate server for this, but having static IPs and mapping them in /etc/hosts of each computer may make things a bit smoother.

Just Joined!
    I will try it.
    But I don't have static IP for all the machines.
    We only have one static IP and then we are using 172.16.5.44 kind of IPs.