Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I'm using a program on a group of servers which contact each other using SSH. I've got the authentication keys setup with no password but when one box tries ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

SSH login without password on distributed program on redhat

Hello,

I'm using a program on a group of servers which contact each other using SSH.

I've got the authentication keys setup with no password but when one box tries to connect to another it wants the password for the user it's trying to communicate with.

So the main problem is there is a lot of communicating within this program so it's important to allow each box communicate with each other without the use of a password.

Does anyone have a solution?

I'm using OpenSSH 4.3 with OpenSSL 0.9.8 on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 5.3 (Tikanga).
    I'm also using SSH on Ubuntu(Intrepid) to connect to these servers at the mo as i don't have direct access to the boxes.

Thanks

Chris Jemma

if you setup your keys to use no password, and installed them correctly, it wouldn't be asking for a password.

it could be permisions, as that is a very common thing to catch on.
    run
    $ chmod -R go-rwx ~/.ssh
    on all servers involved to make them restricted to ONLY the user who owns the file be able to read them.

if that doesn't work, your files are named wrong, or your server does not allow key based authentication.
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

Just Joined!
    I've just been through a few guilds now going through setting this up and had a bit of help from one of my colleagues and we generated the public key and placed it into the ~/.ssh/authorized_keys file. Now it keeps saying access denied with a few sshd_config file changes that he's used before. I've changed the permissions according to different online guilds and getting the same problems.

I've found a way to do this by removing all passwords but i obviously don't want to do it this way.

My colleague says it's likely to be an option in the sshd_config file, so are you or anyone else aware of any sshd_config option that should definatly be enabled or disabled?

Thanks

Chris Jemma

RSAAuthentication yes
    PubkeyAuthentication yes
    AuthorizedKeysFile .ssh/authorized_keys

those are the 3 lines in my sshd_config that pertain to keypair authentication, make sure they are yes.
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

Just Joined!
    i had those already but i finaly found a guild which worked for me

Thanks for your help though!

Chris Jemma