Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello! I am looking for some suggestions to monitor the bandwidth usage of my LAN. I am currently running a satellite internet feed with a LAN of 25 people and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Need Bandwidth Monitoring Suggestion

Hello! I am looking for some suggestions to monitor the bandwidth usage of my LAN. I am currently running a satellite internet feed with a LAN of 25 people and I just want to be able to see which users are consuming how much bandwidth. I will be using a computer that is currently in use as a Squid web cache on the network running Ubuntu 9.04 server edition. I would like to be able to access it via a web interface if possible. Thanks for any suggestions!

Just Joined!
    ntop is very good.

I have used it on a number of sites.

Regards

HQ

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by HelpQuick View Post
    ntop is very good.

I have used it on a number of sites.

Regards

HQ
    Thanks for the help! It looks like it will work great. Mind if I ask you any specific questions related to ntop is I come up with any in the future?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by hwkdriver View Post
    Thanks for the help! It looks like it will work great. Mind if I ask you any specific questions related to ntop is I come up with any in the future?
    Sure, no problem.

HQ

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by HelpQuick View Post
    Sure, no problem.

HQ
    Well here are my two main questions for the set up:

1. Where/How should the server be set up in order to properly monitor the bandwidth usage of the LAN user? I.E. Two NIC with the server between the modem and router.

The current set up is just one cable running to the router and the server is being used as a squid web cache proxy server. Ntop sees the other users on the network, but it seems like their bandwidth usage is a bit low. Do I need to configure squid as a transparent proxy and put the server in line as mentioned previously? This is how the server(TES Platform) for my other network runs but I do not like the software at all. It kills the computer and is very hardware specific.

2. How do I set up Ntop so that I can get weekly and monthly reports for usage?

Thank you so much for the help!