Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

connecting a (FreeBSD) m0n0wall to a network?

For the past few days I have been looking for a good firewall computer distro for linux and i found m0n0wall, now yes i know it is not Linux FreeBSD etc, so anyway, I have it up and running, but i was wondering how would i get it to work with my network, I am a computer admin for my schools network and we are running, 1 Mac OS X server, 20 Windows XP pro, and 20 mac OS X, so 1 server 40 clients. I am wondering how would i get the firewall computer to access the network, or how would i set it up, here is a layout of my network.

also how can i get my traffic to go thought the firewall here is a lay out of it.

*************** |
    *************** |
    ************** router
    **************/ \
    *****main server **wireless
    *********|********* /
    *********HP Ethernet Hub
    **************CAT.5 box
    Ethernet connections all over the school ( that has wires leading back in to the Cat.5 box)
    ******Routers in the rooms.

where would m0n0wall fit in to this setup

thank you for any help.

NH, USA
    you would want it between the modem and the router, the easiest way to do this would be to have 2 NIC's in the firewall, one nic out to the modem, and one NIC into the router, you would have to forward traffic from the modem to the router

and then from the router it should be sent to the main server and wireless etc... thank you by the way.

4. $spacer_open