Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have been configuring my modem and after that I cannot type an address in the address bar without getting a messsage "Address not found". I typed one command, forget ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

only ip address seems to work on browser

I have been configuring my modem and after that I cannot type an address in the address bar without getting a messsage "Address not found". I typed one command, forget what it was but I got unknown host. Also I have an admin computer with xp, connected with a netgear router. My linux computer is ethernet cable connected to the router. Net gear has a blank field under attached devices in the NAME field. Its not really totally blank it has 2 dashes - -. I entered the ip address for google and i get a google search page. I did recently modify my permissions in resolvconf. Frank

Ps my admin xp computer works fine
    I have both a dial up modem and dsl, both seem to be working

subsequent edit follows :

I have another HD with Vector Linux on it. I get online with that one. So I guess the problem is not in the router or my anti virus, it is in my Debian Lenny configuration.

3rd edit 1:20pst....When I r click on connection icon..I get

Under Active Connection Information

Primary DNS 192.168.1.1

Secondary DNS 0.0.0.0 ...no error info here apparent to me
    Last edited by frank56; 08-22-2009 at 06:01 PM. Reason: new info

You need to check/change those permissions on the resolv.conf and make sure resolv.conf contains a namesearch domain, or it won't work.
    Do you use DHCP to get an IP address?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Linux Newbie

Only IP address seems to work on browser

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    You need to check/change those permissions on the resolv.conf and make sure resolv.conf contains a namesearch domain, or it won't work.
    Do you use DHCP to get an IP address?
    I use DHCP and I was googling to see what the correct settings should be for resolv.conf. I am a little confused since someone on another post said, resolv.conf is only a symbolic file, I think that points to the real file. I am at the beginners level so not sure. If I knew what the correct settings should be, I could try to set them to that. Presently I saw the namerserver listed as my router address. I dont know if my router takes over namerserving for the computers attached to it. Frank

If I knew what the correct settings should be, I could try to set them to that. Presently I saw the namerserver listed as my router address. I dont know if my router takes over namerserving for the computers attached to it.
    If you are using DHCP, /etc/resolv.conf will be written
    automatically. The address of your router is probably the correct
    setting, since the router is also the DHCP server.

You should not need to change permissions on this file, but some
    people remove write permission as a workaround when they
    want to customize it and prevent it from being modified by DHCP.

Actually, the way to customize it is to change the configuration
    of the DHCP client daemon, or go to manual configuration.