Find the answer to your Linux question:
Afternoon all, I've got an Acer Aspire One running on Linux Lite. I was running a Live Update from the setting directory and it was taking a while and the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Network issues

Afternoon all,

I've got an Acer Aspire One running on Linux Lite.

I was running a Live Update from the setting directory and it was taking a while and the battery was running low so I stopped it and closed it down. After sticking it on charge and rebooting it I went to continue the Update but my Netbook popped up with an Error 6 - my internet was not connected - which blatently isn't true as I can receive updates from my service provider.

I also tried to load up Firefox and it came up with the good old unable to connect rubbish.

Just to top things off, my mate read through a forum and deleted my networking directory in /gconf/system - telling me that it would automatically reappear and resolve the problem - but it's gone for good now!

So, is there anything I can do short of throwing out the window? I'm a complete noob to Linux and was brough up with Bill and his Windows so if anyone could help - Laymens terms would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    G

I have come accross this post which is where I think your friend got his suggestion from. If that's the case then you should have deleted

Code:
    ~/.gconf/system/networking
    You can confirm if that directory exists or not by typing:

Code:
    ls ~/.gconf/system/networking
    Just so you understand, ~ just points to your home directory which will be /home/username where username is the username you use to log in. Any file or directory beginning with a dot (.) is hidden so you won't see them by default
    Linux User #453176