Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I want to put a RedHat 9 box on the Internet using DSL. I've got a D-Link 300G DSL modem (it has an ethernet interface) and an PPPoA (not ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Configuration of PPPoA on RedHat 9

Hi

I want to put a RedHat 9 box on the Internet using DSL. I've got a D-Link 300G DSL modem (it has an ethernet interface) and an PPPoA (not a typo PPP over ATM) connection from BT Internet (in the UK) with static IP.

I've set the box up to use PPPoE (PPP over Ethernet) in South Africa using Roaring Pengiun's PPPoE client. It worked 100% here. I then shipped the box to the UK and the client tried to connect to no avail.

Can anyone give me pointers of how to get PPPoA working on an ethernet DSL modem. The modem does support PPPoA and it works from Win98 & WinXP.

BTW I did a Google for PPPoA on Linux but couldn't find anything simple - I cannot have the client try his hand at doing Kernel patches etc. He knows just enough not to make the machine fall over.

One last thing. I need the DSL connection to be able to connect to that box using SSH and HTTP. We can probably get it working with a DSL router but we want to have the solution as an easy way to do remote maintenance. We basically want to have a client plug in a DSL modem (we will specify D-Link 300G) into the ethernet port on the machine and a techie in my office in South Africa can access it fix it up and send the guy on the other side an IM to tell him that he can disconnect the DSL. All these machines will be put on a closed network with DSL points at some places for remote config. We originally tried the way of training some guy who knows something about the system and then have a Yahoo IM session telling him what to do when he gets stuck. I don't want to go that route again having a guy in the US keep me up for four days because he doesn't know what he's doing when it will take me 30 minutes or an hour to get the same thing done.

Thanks

Albert

Just Joined!

PPPoA on Redhat 9

Hi albertvandam

I think that you should be using eth0 as a normal network connection, the PPPoA is embedded in the D-Link 300G DSL modem, so configuration for PPPoA is done by accessing the modem via a web page and on this webpage you configure your ISP details.

You should not be trying to configure Redhat 9 for PPPoA it is done internally within the modem, it is working in WinXP and Win98 because you use software in those systems to configure the ISP details in the modem.

Just use normal ethernet connection in Redhat 9 using eth0 probably DHCP unless you want to use a static address, then access the webpage within the D-Link modem and setup ISP details ie VPI/VCI, username and password etc.

The webpage should be listed in the manual, the default password is admin, I could not find the manual on the D-Link website, but I know most modems use this method, this is how I use my ADSL USB with Smoothwall Linux.

I hope this helps, if not contact D-Link and ask what is the webpage address for the modem configuration.

Also next time you spec a modem make sure the manufacturer supports Linux so you may ask questions and be given answers.

Cheers

SuperDuper

Just Joined!
    Thanks SuperDooper[/u]

Just Joined!
    Tried it to no avail...

a) I've been using the D-Link DSL-300G modems without problems on Linux (RedHat 9, SuSE 9.0 Pro, SuSE 9.1 Pro) using PPPoE since we've got ADSL in South Africa (about 12 months)

b) My modem does not connect automatically - I have to initiate the connection from software although there is an option to add a username/password to the modem setup. The modem connects but I cannot access the internet if I did not initiate the connection from a software client.

c) The default IP for the modem is 10.1.1.1

d) D-Link discontinued the modem and no longer support it

e) D-Link in South Africa have to ask D-Link in Taiwan everytime I want to know something and D-Link does not support Linux.

f) Although D-Link does not support Linux we have been using DSL-300G modems and DSL-504G routers without problem

g) Why does BT have to use PPPoA? My clients in the US and in ZA have PPPoE - much easier to get working.

h) Which DSL modems (ethernet please - I don't have USB ports available on the machines and the system architect doesn't want to put in a USB hub) should I be using that will not break the bank? We get the DSL-300G modems for about R 600 (+/- US$ 92) and our local supplier has got a lot of them

i) How do you connect to DSL with PPPoA using an ADSL modem connected to eth0 of the machine? Is there any software clients available? Is it possible to configure RH9? How do people in the UK get DSL working on their Linux machines?

Just Joined!
    Hello albertvandam

How to connect an ADSL ethernet modem in Linux, uses the embedded PPPoA configuration via webpage(10.1.1.1) accessed on the ethernet connected computer, you then need to set the VPI and VCI which in the UK is 0, 38 next add the username(from ISP) and password(from ISP) save it, then reboot the modem or power it down then up, wait until it is connected then either reboot the computer or restart eth0.

The problem you may be having is that the country code, VPI and VCI is set incorrectly at present (probably South Africa) and needs to be changed.

It is not a factor of whether Linux supports the modem, as long as eth0 is DHCP you should be able to connect to the webpage of the modem to carry out configuration to enable you to connect to your ISP.

If you have configured the modem correctly you do not need any software to initialise the connection, it will automatically connect to the internet when powered up and then when your computer boots, eth0 will be assigned by DHCP and connect to the internet via the modem (which is the default gateway).

AN inexpensive ADSL ethernet modem for the UK can be found here:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=48448

Sorry I cannot be more help!