Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, was wondering if someone can help please. I am trying to connect an IBM Intellstation Z Pro with redhat installed. I have not installed this machine, and am in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Direct connection of Linux to Unix

Hi,

was wondering if someone can help please.

I am trying to connect an IBM Intellstation Z Pro with redhat installed. I have not installed this machine, and am in a remote location trying to set some stuff up for work, and have been left with no instructions and no install disks etc, so please bear with me!

I have to get data from nas drives, connected to a UNIX system. This was all meant to have been done before, but as these things often happen, I've been left to deal.
    I am not an IT person, I'm a data processor, I know a certain amount about computers, but not a lot. So sorry if I can't provide you with all the details to reply.

Basically, both the Linux and the Unix systems were meant to be on the local network and server, however this has not been done. We do not have IP addresses for the server either, the Linux is mounted on it, and can see it fine.

The obvious answer to me would be to add the Unix to the server/network and be able to access the data like that, but as we have no passwords for the server and network, we can't.

We have no tape drives that are mutually compatible between the two machines to be able to access the data needed that way either.

Now, the only option to us, is to directly link the two systems via an Ethernet cable. Does anyone know how to do this? I have tried plugging the Linux directly to the Nas drive, and pinging the IP address of the nas, but can not get the ping to work successfully. Any ideas??

I will be forever in your debt if you do!!!

Ok first off some basics. Have you configured your Linux machine with the same subnet mask as your NAS and have you given it an IP address on the same network? Sometimes NAS's are configured not to respond to ping requests, heve you tried entering the NAS IP address into a browser on your Linux machine? Most NAS's have a web interface getting this would confirm you are able to see it.

If your NAS requires a password in order to access it you may be out of luck. You would have to consult the vendor/Google for password recovery advice.

You say you have no mutually compatible tape drives? Does that imply you can get data off the NAS (all be it on an incompatible tape)? It may be worth seeing if you can do this and then removing the drive from the NAS and connecting it to your Linux system. You could then read the tape.

*Edited to add*

If you want to wire the machines directly to one another you will need a crossover cable. There are guides on how to do this on the net. You will need spare cable heads (RJ45) and a crimping tool (or if you're good at bodging it a sharp knife and a small flat-head screwdriver).

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by monday90 View Post
    Ok first off some basics. Have you configured your Linux machine with the same subnet mask as your NAS and have you given it an IP address on the same network? Sometimes NAS's are configured not to respond to ping requests, heve you tried entering the NAS IP address into a browser on your Linux machine? Most NAS's have a web interface getting this would confirm you are able to see it.

If your NAS requires a password in order to access it you may be out of luck. You would have to consult the vendor/Google for password recovery advice.

You say you have no mutually compatible tape drives? Does that imply you can get data off the NAS (all be it on an incompatible tape)? It may be worth seeing if you can do this and then removing the drive from the NAS and connecting it to your Linux system. You could then read the tape.

*Edited to add*

If you want to wire the machines directly to one another you will need a crossover cable. There are guides on how to do this on the net. You will need spare cable heads (RJ45) and a crimping tool (or if you're good at bodging it a sharp knife and a small flat-head screwdriver).
    Thank you so much Monday90, you were right, the IP addresses were not compatible, and we weren't able to change them (for various reasons I wont bore you with)!. The tape drive that worked on the NAS did not work on the Linux, but with some luck, what we managed to do was configure my own laptop with an IP that was compatible, and connect that with the NAS via the ethernet cable.
    Then I used a USB flash drive to transfer the data from laptop to Linux. Long way round, but it did work thankfully!
    I would have written back earlier, but we lost sat comms, so everything went wrong!
    Thanks again, I owe you one, as this put us on the right tracks.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Glad to be of help. If you're ever in the UK, mine's a pint of bitter.