Find the answer to your Linux question:
I looked into the rule set for enabling /handling ftp connections through linux firewalls. I did not find any new addition to the syntax for FTP than that of ip_conntrack. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question why ip_conntrack_ftp is needed?

I looked into the rule set for enabling /handling ftp connections through linux firewalls. I did not find any new addition to the syntax for FTP than that of ip_conntrack.

For example, for setting an active FTP connection, we use
    iptables -A INPUT**** -p tcp --sport 20 -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 20 -m state --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT

My doubt is why do we need a separate ftp conntrack module when we can write this syntax using conntrack module itself.

Thanks
    Balaji

Not sure I totally understand your question. The FTP is needed as you are switching ports when transferring data unlike other connection that will use the same ports during a single connection. Thus you are allowing the client to switch ports without having to re-authenticate which you would not want to happen at any other time.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Just Joined!
    Sorry for the ambiguity of my question.
    What I wanted to know is why we need to load a seperate module for ftp and why cant we embed the functions in ip_conntrack itself. I want to know what does the code in the module ip_conntrack_ftp do. Can anybody please give me a link to the latest release of ip_conntrack and ip_conntrack_ftp module?

Thanks
    Balaji

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Google: iptables linux

The netfilter.org "iptables" project