Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello I recently stayed in a Marriot hotel, and I connected to their hotspot with my static Ip. I know that hotspots have automatic dhcp, and if you as a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

bypassing network setup to connect to the internet?

Hello

I recently stayed in a Marriot hotel, and I connected to their hotspot with my static Ip. I know that hotspots have automatic dhcp, and if you as a user come with an static ip, their support tells you to activate the automatic dhcp and loose your static ip's configuration.
    So I was surprised to see that I could actually connect to their hotspot with my static ip. But I want to know how that it's done.

I checked the company's website (guese-tek) and all that they say is that you can connect without changing you network's configuration...

Anyone here has an idea of how this can be done?

thank you

The Server is configured that it would accept anything and put it in a new Network.
    However, you can get network clashes if too people have the same static ip.. So, this is just a Theory, hope thats helps yoy a bt.
    New Users, please read this..
    Google first, then ask..

Just Joined!

maybe a openvpn?

That's a good idea. I've been researching and I was thinking that it could be an open vpn or something like that. Like a compulsory tunneling, but I don't know how to setup the service.
    What do you think about it?

thank you again

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    It's possible to create an SSH tunnel if you have an SSH server running somewhere. What an SSH tunnel does is create an encrypted connection with your home or work computers and relay all traffic through that tunnel. Meaning that your traffic is completely encrypted and unreadable to the host network (in other words Marriot hotel wouldnt be able to snoop into what you are doing, the only connection they would see open is the connection to your home computer). Its also good for getting around networks which block/filter traffic such as school and work networks.

The most simple method is to use Tor to connect to an anonymous/random proxy on the internet.

If you're feeling hard core you can create your own SSH tunnel using your home server.

This website provides a comprehensive guide about creating an SSH tunnel through that method
    How to Bypass Most Firewall Restrictions and Access the Internet Privately

To follow up on that I carry a portable copy of PuTTY and a script to create the tunnel on my flash drives for unrestricted internet access. Having an SSH tunnel set up its not difficult to create an encrypted VNC session from there.