Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Aspire AOA150 running Linpus lite, wont run modem Huawei E220 any ideas?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linpus lite and 3g dongle problem

Aspire AOA150 running Linpus lite, wont run modem Huawei E220 any ideas?

Mine (actually a Huawei E180 or somthing like that) works out of the box with NetworkManager on Fedora - it's really just plug-in and go.

I know that Linpus is based on Fedora - maybe Network Manager is available for your system?
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

I recommend using Ubuntu Easy Peasy or Ubuntu Netbook Remix.(official)
    Since it has a newer kernel than Linpus Lite, it will probably support your Huawei E220 out of the box. Make a Live-USB* and test your dongle, without erasing Linpus.
    Also, Kubuntu Netbook Remix looks totally awesome and its first version will be available at the end of October.

Everything works out the box: wireless(I mean the built-in adapter, I haven't tested it with a dongle), camera,
    codecs are preinstalled, flash is preinstalled and it has Firefox 3, OpenOffice 3, Pidgin,VLC and Songbird!!!
    You have to do NOTHING after the installation! It really rocks
    The official version does not come with pre-installed codecs I think, but it is very easy to install them.

The installation is really easy** and in case you have a question, everyone in the forums can help you,
    since Ubuntu (on which it is based) is probably the most popular Linux distribution.

*To make a live-usb you can use Unetbootin, which works on either Linux or Windows.

** At some point it will ask you to make partitions.

-If you have the 80+GB HDD version,make:
    1GB swap
    10GB of type ext3, mount point /
    The rest make it type ext3, mount point /home

-If you have the 8GB SSD version make:
    1GB swap
    the rest type etx2, mount point /
    Be careful, it must be ext2 and NOT ext3.

Just Joined!
    loaded easy peasy and the dongle runs a treat, that software load is so simple so intuitive.

How secure is it for personal banking etc

Thanks for your help it was a breeze

It is as secure as you can get.
    BUT: have strong passwords for online banking and be aware for scam emails, that will ask you to provide your password.

Just Joined!
    The Acer Aspire One support site specifically addresses this problem by offering the Macles Connection Manager for use with Huawei dongles. A writeup, download link and installation guide can be found at:

[Sorry - I wrote the URL here but it was censored by linuxforums on the following grounds: "You are only allowed to post URLs to other sites after you have made 15 posts or more." This is my first post on this forum.]

You will have to find your own way to the support page. I'll try to help. Google "Macles Connection Manager". When I did it, the relevant support page came up first on Google's algorithm. Whether it is now first or not, you are looking for a link titled "SUPPORT Acer Aspire One Driver", taking you to a page in acer-dot-com. That's the page you want.

Switch to Ubuntu if you like, but remember that your hardware was specifically assembled to run well with Linpus. Also, installation of Macles in your existing Linpus is a lot less work - a 25MB download followed by a few minutes of installation. Sorry about the missing URL - I guess these forums have to have their rules.
    Last edited by Maemo_Weary; 09-24-2009 at 12:04 PM. Reason: simpler way to reach Macles page

Just Joined!

Thanks

Hi there,

This is the 1st forum I have seen that talks about Linpus Linux Lite. I will download Macles and see how I get on. Didn't know what Linux was until I couldn't get mobile internet so not exactly techy.

Thanks v much

Just Joined!
    Downloading Macles didn't work. I tried a dongle from 3G and it wouldn't connect.

Just Joined!

Macles

My point exactly. After I downloaded Macles, my PC wouldnt see the dongle. If I reboot, with wireless disabled and dongle plugged in, it will see the dongle, but wont let me into it. It then removes it from my connection manager. Please help! I would like to stay on the existing OS, Linpus lite.
    Last edited by Sarelg2; 12-16-2009 at 10:48 AM. Reason: more info

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarelg2 View Post
    My point exactly. After I downloaded Macles, my PC wouldnt see the dongle. If I reboot, with wireless disabled and dongle plugged in, it will see the dongle, but wont let me into it. It then removes it from my connection manager. Please help! I would like to stay on the existing OS, Linpus lite.
    I am sorry that you are having trouble with this software. However, I am not a customer service rep and I am not the author of the software in question. I am just a member of the forum like yourselves, passing on any information I have come across that might be useful to others. If you did not find it useful, again I am sorry. The difficulties you are experiencing will however be helpful to others who might be searching the forum for anything about the Huawei dongles.

The most obvious people for you to approach about this are (1) Acer customer service (2) the author of the Macles software. Ultimately, if they are unwilling or unable to help you, there has been another solution suggested in this thread, namely installing Ubuntu in your netbook.

EDIT: Have you looked at the Macles Blog? The blogger has answered various questions related to use of the Huawei dongles on Acer Aspire. There is also a mention in that thread of another software package called Mobile Partner. This blog came at the top of the list when I googled "macles" and then I wrote "huawei" in the search field on the Macles Blog page. Have you ever thought of doing your own searches? [Once again, apologies for not posting a URL to the relevant thread of the Macles Blog - not allowed by this forum.]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast